It was standing room only at Buffalo Wild Wings in Orange on Saturday night.
A capacity crowd, well over 500 Ducks fans showed up to watch the puck drop on the Anaheim Ducks season.
And what a game it was, which saw the good guys scoring seven times, including two from newcomer Daniel Winnik and two from not-so-old timer and face of the franchise, Teemu Selanne, for a 7-3 victory over the Canucks in Vancouver.
After season upon season of slow starts, this win was exactly the kind of start the Ducks needed. The victory gave the fans plenty to cheer about and along with the Ducks 5-4 win over Calgary Monday night, I can sense there is some hope that maybe, just maybe, things will go different this time.
I stopped by the watch party, not only to watch the Ducks kick off the season but to chat with the hosts, the Anaheim Ducks Die Hards Booster Club. The newly formed Advisory Committee was busy all night, welcoming fans and selling memberships.
And let me just say, y’all thought this season’s Wild Wingers Kids Club kit was awesome? Wait until you see what a Die Hards membership will get you:
• Die Hards Hooded Sweatshirt (sizes: M,L,XL,XXL)
• Teemu Selanne Limited Edition Bobblehead. (Each one is individually numbered, e.g. 1 of 725)
• Die Hards Duffel Bag
• Die Hards Flag
• Die Hards Custom Coffee Mug
• One (1) FREE Coffee voucher to be used during a Ducks game at Honda Center
All of these great items valued at over $400 are available now for only $45. And as a bonus, if you sign up before Monday, January 28, you will only pay $40.
It goes without saying that my favorite item in this season’s kit is the Teemu Bobblehead. I’m not sure it looks much like Teemu. The Flash himself thinks it more resembles Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler. But that’s the quirky charm of bobbleheads, right? They hardly ever look like the player they’re supposed to represent. And fans spend a bunch of time analyzing it and trying to figure out who it does look like. But in the end, it’s still a must-have. And since this Teemu Bobblehead is a limited edition item, you can only purchase it by becoming a Die Hards member. How can you pass that up?
Just like with the Wild Wingers Kids Club program, a Die Hards membership gets you much more than just items in a bag.
• The group will be hosting more watch parties throughout the season at Buffalo Wild Wings (see tentative schedule below).
• They have developed a new Volunteer Incentive Program (V.I.P.) for members that allows them to serve at the Die Hards booth at Honda Center during games, at watch parties and other events, and earn points toward receiving autographed Ducks memorabilia.
• A road trip to the Saturday, March 2, 2013 game against the Phoenix Coyotes is being planned. (more information will be available soon)
• Volunteer opportunities are available to come alongside the Ducks and support our local community. This is by far one of my favorite aspects of the group. You can join them in serving at places like the Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County and CHOC Children’s all year long. I joined the group last fall for the 2012 CHOC Walk and had a blast.
• They are continuing with their “Puck for a Buck” program, which allows fans to purchase a $1 raffle ticket at the Die Hards booth during home games for a chance to win a Ducks autographed puck. All proceeds go to the Anaheim Ducks Foundation.
As I spoke with the Advisory Committee, you couldn’t miss their excitement to have Ducks hockey back and to be able to bring in new members again.
“This is the best way for fans to support the Ducks in their play and their efforts locally as seen through the Anaheim Ducks Foundation,” said Terri Ticer, this season’s Events/Volunteer Liason.
Even with the shortened season, I think this is a fantastic program that you won’t want to miss being a part of this year. Besides all the great membership items you will receive, I believe there’s something unique and energizing about connecting with fellow Ducks fans, both at games and in service to our community. If what I saw at Saturday’s watch party is any indication of what the season holds, it’s going to be a fun ride.
Sign up for membership today by clicking here. Or stop by the Die Hards counter outside of Section 214 on the concourse level at Honda Center during any upcoming Ducks home game.
You can enter for a chance to win a membership right here on the blog! The Anaheim Ducks have been generous enough to give me one (1) Ducks Die Hards Membership to give away. Just enter a comment below and share what you are most excited about now that Ducks hockey is back. The giveaway will remain open until 3:00pm Friday, January 25, 2013. Winners will be selected using random.org.
Anaheim Ducks Die Hards 2012/13 Advisory Committee
Anne Marie Hull – Game Day Event Coordinator
Jennie Schueller – Treasurer
Terri Ticer – Events/Volunteer Liason
Karen Sheffield – V.I.P. Liason
Watch Party Schedule at Buffalo Wild Wings in Orange (tentative)
Monday, 7:30pm February 25, 2013 vs. Los Angeles
Tuesday, 5:00pm March 12, 2013 vs. Minnesota
Saturday, 8:00pm April 13, 2013 vs. Los Angeles
Monday, 7:30pm April 22, 2013 vs. Edmonton
Good luck and Go Ducks!!
This giveaway is now closed.
Congratulations to Frank! And thank you to all who entered!